Tuesday, November 19, 2013

I feel like Charlie Brown's football

1107charlie brown lucy football
Every time I start to think that maybe the Harper Cons aren't so bad, I find out that actually, they're worse.
When disaster strikes somewhere in the world, like now with the recent Philippines storm, our government routinely now announces it will match Canadian donations.  Pretty generous, I've thought.
Remarkably generous.
But now I find out that even though I am giving my donation to a charitable group, the Harper Cons are maybe not:
The Conservative government has severed long-standing ties with many of Canada’s largest and oldest aid organizations over the past few years, and instead focused its efforts on mining companies and other private sector actors.
Mining companies?
Yes it turns out to be true -- see here and here.
As usual, I'm the last to know.
Sigh.

No comments: