Thursday, March 19, 2009

Great line of the day

Lance Mannion writes about not-travelling:
I've never had the time and money to even go sight-seeing abroad, let alone do any exploring, wandering, or abiding. No doubt I'm full of prejudices that need killing by travel. But I've tried to make up for not being able to get to know Mumbai and Shanghai by getting to know the places I happen to be. "I have traveled extensively in Concord," said Henry David Thoreau. I think if you keep your eyes and your ears and your eyes open you see quite a bit of the world in a walk around your own block. I have traveled extensively in Boston and Iowa City and Fort Wayne and Syracuse and I'm trying to travel extensively here in the Hudson Valley. It's a beautiful day. Think I'll take a quick trip around the world down to the post office.
Emphasis mine.
Still, there's something to be said for actually seeing the pyramids, as my sister did last year. Did you know that, in Egypt, dogs treat people as sources of shade? Bet you never read that in the brochure.

No comments: